UPDATE from Maritime New Zealand for NZ chefs regarding Ships Cook Certificate
I have now received an update from Maritime NZ regarding NZ trained chefs applying directly for Ships Cook Certificate from Maritime NZ..
Please read the following and contact them directly if you have any questions.
Extract of email dated 14 June 2017:
Good morning Efrem
Our policy on ships cooks has been finalised. Below is the requirements to gain a Ships’ Cook letter of confirmation.
You must have one of the following cookery qualifications:
- New Zealand Certificate in Hospitality (Basic Cookery) (Level 3)
- New Zealand Certificate in Cookery (Level 3)
- City and Guilds cookery training 706/1 and 706/2 completed in New Zealand
If you do not have one of the above qualifications, MNZ may accept any other formal cookery qualification completed in New Zealand plus a minimum of 6 months’ sea service as a ships’ cook.
To consider your request for confirmation, MNZ requires:
- this application form to be completed
- a copy of your New Zealand cookery qualification (Options 1 and 2)
- proof of sea service (for Option 2)
With either option there is a fee of $201.
Attached is a link to the Ships Cooks application form
If you have any other questions please feel free to get back in touch.
Robert Burton | Advisor Personnel Certification
Maritime New Zealand | Wellington
Nō te rere moana Aotearoa
T +64 4 830 0535 | F +64 4 494 1263 | W maritimenz.govt.nz